Thursday, December 01, 2005

ahh...finally finish the letter to straist Times Forum..

let u see my work....with help from My sis.

this is it ...........

Title: Charges Delayed caused Metal torture for solider


I REFER to MR Ivan Micheal Pung‘s letter “Continue to believe in national service” (ST, Dec 1st)
I unfortunately cannot agree with what he wrote. Although I can say I love my country, but when it comes to national service I cannot forgive them for what happen to my brother.
My brother was only 19 year when about 2 months ago, he committed suicide .He was in army for more than a year, as a driver. He was involved in a traffic accident which caused a civilian motorist to be hospitalized.
A through investigation on our request to his camp had closed its case recently. This is to find out the reasons that might have led to his suicide, in which have a lot to do with the traffic accident, and the charging procedures of Mindef.
But to us, the man in charge of the investigations only told us because the accident involved a civilian that’s why it took them so long to charge my brother.
So I assume now all the army drivers don’t need to drive their army vehicles anymore because when they are on the road there bound to be thousands of civilians.
The accident was on August 23, 2005. After the accident, the army officer straight announced, he would be sent to Detention barracks. The charge was delayed to no further dates.

The Major in his camp was too busy as he was going overseas at that time to charge him.
Execution of his sentence was delayed recurrently on the basis of reasons that were left unexplained to my brother; he was only threatened with more than 10 days in the detention barracks by his superiors. He was also told that if he was charged, he will not have the chance to sign on with Mindef, his ROD would be extended, and he would be stated as Condemn personnel.
I and my family strongly felt that because of the on going stress given by his camp’s officers and superiors caused him to choose to end his young life.

The fact that the time between the traffic accident with the passing of changes to the person was unusually long. My brother worried with great anxiety. Only during the weekends was he home so most of the time we knew what stress was he in, but then what can my old parents and 3 sisters do to help?

I agree we should always have support for our army men.
They protect our country and contribute to the peace, security and stability of Singapore.
But the country is losing strong manpower because young and healthy, able-bodied male citizens go committing suicides. These are great wastages when these can be prevented.

I feel the need for Mindef to quickly review the slow charging procedures when traffic accidents happened and their work efficiency.
And also try to achieve a greater transparency when dealing things in camp.

(blagg blah my name)(Miss)

No comments: